Nottingham’s hopes of a brand new stadium have been dealt a major blow following England's failed bid to stage the 2018 World Cup.
The city had hoped to build a 45,000-capacity venue on land off the A52 at Gamston as part of the bid.
On Thursday FIFA voted to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia meaning the new stadium could be postponed.
Nottingham's World Cup bid director Hugh White told BBC the driving force behind the new stadium had been FIFA technical requirements.
"We will have to reappraise that but I know Forest have for a long time have wanted a long-term stadium solution," he said.
"I'm sure there will be discussion around that, but this opportunity has gone and we are very disappointed."
Nottingham was included in England's bid despite Nottingham Forest's existing City Ground being too small and having inadequate access.
The new venue was expected to bring an investment of around £130m into the region.
Posted on 04/12/2010